March is a real son-of-a-bitch in the city, which makes it an upgrade on February. The ground is free of ice and snow now, but the temperature is still on a see-saw. Tuesday it was 16F at Suffer O’Clock. Today was a much milder 36F.
We split the workout this morning into two pieces. One we did under a street light, and then, when the sun finally came up, we moved over to the playground where we base most of our non-winter workouts.
Both pieces are just simple circuits. As always we start with a 15 minute warm-up that consists of a 1/4 mile run and a few minutes of dynamic stretching and movement. Don’t skip the warm up. It prepares your muscles for work and increases your mobility. It’s as important as the harder parts that come later.
Circuit 1 – 20 minutes
- 40 x Cross-Body Mountain Climbers
- 15 x Triceps Dips
- 20 x Step Ups
- 1 x Full Court (Spring down one side of a basketball court, side shuffle across the baseline, back pedal to the other baseline, then side shuffle to where you started. If you don’t have a basketball court, figure it out. You know what a basketball court looks like.)
- 15 x Lat Pulls
- 10 x Burpees
- 15 x Leg Lifts
- 15 x Inclined Push Ups
- 40 x Jumping Jacks
- 15 x Biceps Curls
Circuit 2 – 20 minutes
- 10 x Body Rows
- 10 x Swing Tucks
- 1 x Stairs (If you don’t have access to stairs, substitute a few short, sharp sprints.)
- 40 x Russian Twists (not sure why they get credit for this one)
- 10 x Break Dancers
- 20 x Sit Ups (We did ours at the top of a nearby hill, for an extra bit of cardio.)
Finish with 5 minutes of gentle stretching.