I’m not the only one coming back from injuries right now. We have a handful of Suffer Club regulars who shouldn’t be running, even though they will if that’s what the day’s workout entails.
To try to overcome their need to push themselves into places that only sustain the injuries they’re trying to get past, I brought two workouts with me this morning, a cardio set up and an anaerobic set up.
If you’re taking on the cardio set, you’ll need to come up with some destinations various distances from your base. We have an enormous park with basketball court, stairs, walls, swings, hills, basically everything we need terrain-wise to challenge ourselves. If you don’t have that kind of outdoor space, you’ll need to get creative. The spots you pick for this workout should get progressively farther away from your starting point.
If you’re going to do the anaerobic set, you’ll need some weights or resistance bands. You can enhance this workout by inserting cardio bursts in between your sets.
- 1 – 3x Full Court/3x Suicide (Our location 1 is a basketball court. A Full Court consists of sprinting forward down one of the sidelines, shuffling across to the other corner, backpedaling up the other sideline, and then side shuffling back to the corner you started from)
- 2 – 5x Wall Climbs/5x Stairs (Our location 2 has a waist high wall and long set of stairs. A wall climb is just what it sounds like, you hoist yourself up onto the wall, stand up, and climb down again).
- 3 – 3 x (10x Burpees/10x Sit Ups)
- 4 – 4x (10x Step Ups/10x Inclined Push Ups) – You need a low wall or bench for this one.
- 5 – 3x (20x Speed Skaters/10x Jump for Height) – Jump for Height is just what it sounds like. From standing, jump as high as you can.
- 6 – 30x Cross Body Crunches/30x Squat Thrusts
- 7 – 30x Cross Body Mountain Climbers/50x Jumping Jacks